- You can only take a farcically small vehicle
- You’re completely on your own
- You’ve got to raise a £1000 for charity
<iframe src=”https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m37!1m8!1m3!1d20208071.38426543!2d54.60131072499996!3d51.809712843544766!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!4m26!1i0!3e0!4m5!1s0x47d8a00baf21de75%3A0x52963a5addd52a99!2sLondon%2C+UK!3m2!1d51.5073509!2d-0.1277583!4m5!1s0x470b939c0970798b%3A0x400af0f66164090!2sPrague%2C+Czech+Republic!3m2!1d50.075538099999996!2d14.4378005!4m5!1s0x5d96925be2b18aab%3A0xe606927864a1847f!2sUlan+Bator%2C+Ulaanbaatar%2C+Mongolia!3m2!1d47.919999999999995!2d106.92!4m5!1s0x5dafdb196f6730cb%3A0x38da928c03aec496!2sRussia%2C+Buryatia%2C+Ulan-Ude!3m2!1d51.8238785!2d107.607338!5e0!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1428193730925″ width=600 height=450></iframe>
You must bring the shittiest rolling turd of a car you can find. Use a car you swapped for a bag of crisps. Seek out a steed that most people wouldn’t even use for the weekly shop. Better still, come along on a scooter.After all, an adventure is only an adventure when things go wrong. Where in the name of Uranus would the fun be in cruising 10,000 miles in a 4×4? If you look at your vehicle and think; “This is the right car for crossing a desert,” then you’ve got it badly wrong.Wussy wagons are Out. Shitmobiles are In.
- Several major repairs will likely be needed along the 10,000-km journey;
- You will change possibly dozens of tires;
- Extreme boredom may entice you to ride outside (i.e. on top of) the vehicle;
- Bribes may be necessary once local officials realize your fantastically embellished crapmobile means you’re adventurers from Western Europe or some other prosperous region.
- Driving to Mongolia: How I Drove from UK to Mongolia in a Shitty Car (journal)
- Mongol Rally 2013 – Team Dingo Babies & Drop Bears (long-format video)
- Mongol Rally 2013 – The Motoring Monks (long-format video)
- The Adventurists’ YouTube Channel
- The Cars of the 2014 Mongol Rally
- Travel bloggers The Planet D attempt the Mongol Rally
If it were up to me, I’d start my own rally from Mexico through Central and South America using nothing but old vochos (VW Beetles) bought across the border from California. For that matter, if we could get one of these underpowered VWs to England, it could also be used to drive to Mongolia.